9/29/2016

Beginner's Journey learning the Pen&Ink Discipline

I just joined the forum and I've been drawing less than a year. I decided to start my focused study with Pen&Ink. I'm attaching some practice I did tonight. Right now I'm getting used to doing different kinds of strokes and varying the strokes the best I can to get different results with effects like light & shadow.

I'm using a book for instruction titled, "Pen & Ink Drawing: A Simple Guide" by Alphonso Dunn, which is a person I've watched on YouTube for some time. His videos are very informative and encouraging.

The following photo has me drawing a hat (which I copied from the instructional book to try out my own version of the hat I saw), a black marble I made that is in a basic two-color black and white using "local value", and a tall cup that I drew using short-hatch patterns in which I did my best to vary as much as I could. It is a very small drawing so it was hard to create spacing in the strokes.

As a beginner, I have a habit of drawing small. I like to leave room to fill a page up with several drawings. I assume I should try going larger on my drawings as it will give me better potential for spacing and variation of my pen strokes.

My ultimate personal goal is to draw comic-style drawings, but I felt Pen&Ink was a better start than cartooning because it would teach me more, and I would benefit greatly from practicing with the pen since cartooning and comic-style drawings depend on inks.

Feel free to give me feedback and some wisdom as I start this beginner practice with pen&ink.

**Hopefully this photo/drawing shows up on here. I tried to figure out how to attach images to posts.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

iOS 12 group Facetime, Supports upto 32 people simultaneously

Apple introduces a group facetime in iOS 12 that supports video call up to 32 people at the same time along with the LIVE Memoji. It’s ...