9/28/2016

Gaomon S56k mini review

Gaomon S56k mini review:

# About me:

Rank 1.7k player (profile). On the first day with this tablet I set 2 300pp+ personal top scores. On the second day of playing with the tablet, I set my highest ever PP score (pic of the scores set with this tablet). Therefore I would say that it has been quite easy to adjust to this tablet from a Wacom CTH-480.
Keep in mind this review is my own personal opinion, and I have no affiliation with Gaomon (I bought the tablet myself off amazon - pic as proof).
Older tablets I've owned: Huion 420, Wacom CTH-470, Wacom CTH-480.

# Playability & Responsiveness 10/10:

The Gaomon S56k has a tested polling rate of ~440Hz (pic) compared to the ~129Hz of the Wacom CTH-480 (pic), although the manufacturer specified report rate is 250 'PPS'.
Overall tablet feels very accurate and quick. The amount of lag feels about the same as the 480 (if not better). If you own a wacom yourself, I would compare it to the smoothness of the newer wacom drivers but without the added lag. I would also describe it as feeling more reliable to aim with than with my wacom (although I have only had this tablet a short time).

# Tablet material 9/10 pic:

Thin and bendy plastic surface (similar kind of plastic you might find on the front/back cover of a notepad). The tablet slips around a lot without securing it, but it is easy to tape down to keep it from moving around. Very comfortable to rest your hand on the tablet while playing since there is no hard edge on the tablet.
The tablet surface is great for dragging on as it provides more resistance and feel compared to the slippery surface on a Wacom 480 (I am a dragging player so this was appreciated). Hover distance seems slightly smaller than wacom, about 1-1.5cm.

# Pen (stock) 7/10 pic:

The default pen requires one AAA battery to power it, making it a lot heavier than the wacom pen. Since I have fairly large hands I didn't find this to be much of a problem and it was easy to grip. Back and forth fast jumps were fine with this pen. However people with smaller hands may not like the heaviness of it.

# Pen (rechargable) 8/10 pic:

The rechargable huion pen is also compatible with this tablet, and it is significantly lighter than the stock pen. A great option for people who prefer a lighter pen similar to wacom pens. It is expensive though, costing almost as much as the tablet itself (£19.99).

# Driver Software 6/10 pic:

The drivers look very similar to the Huion 420 drivers. Installs easily and works straight away after restarting. However, setting your tablet area in the driver software is quite difficult since there is no equivalent option to 'force proportions' as found in Wacom drivers. This means that your area has to be the same aspect ratio as your screen in order to get 1:1 movement in each direction, so you may need to hold a ruler up to your monitor and measure it if you want your area to have the perfect aspect ratio.

# Conclusion:

Although I wouldn't go as far to say it is a much better tablet than a Wacom 480, it is definitely a viable alternative. I would say that this is a better tablet than a Huion 420 though, considering it costs about the same as the 420 (if you can find free shipping).
Is it worth switching to from a Wacom? Only if you don't feel completely happy with your current tablet imo. Personally, I prefer it to my wacom already, although some people may have the opposite opinion, therefore I would only recommend buying it if you have the urge to try something new, or if you are buying your first tablet.
Hope you found this review informative. Finally, I would like to use this opportunity to shamelessly plug my websiteosustuff.org, for anyone that hasn't checked it out yet! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

iOS 12 group Facetime, Supports upto 32 people simultaneously

Apple introduces a group facetime in iOS 12 that supports video call up to 32 people at the same time along with the LIVE Memoji. It’s ...